Quantcast

Pages

Monday, April 9, 2007

Don Imus: Not Nappily Ever After

Sorry, you can't actually look inside the graphic. You'll have to go to Amazon.com to have a peek. More about the book, the movie and Halle Berry in the article below.



Don Imus, referred to the Rutgers University women's basketball team as "nappy headed hos" on his April 5th show. He and his producer then used two other demeaning words, but according to Imus, those words were used in a discussion about a Spike Lee movie.

Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are all over this. CBS and MSNBC have suspended the Imus Show for two weeks - saying, according to Capitol Hill Blue:

"Our future relationship with Imus is contingent on his ability to live up to his word,"
I have just a couple of thoughts about this:

1) Sharpton, on his radio show today, called Imus to the pious alter of white American guilt (Sharpton has this alter with him at all times). Imus apologized. One of Sharpton's points to Imus was that such language was disrespectful to his daughters, especially the term "hos." I certainly agree with that. It's an egregious slur against women, but what about Black rap, and White rap? and Hispanic rap? Sharpton is against violent rap music. He has called for a ban on violent rap and gotten no where with it. Using the word "ho," if that is indeed how "whore" is spelled in this culture, is all over the music scene, not to mention the streets. Consider the 2005 Academy Award for Original Song:"It's Hard out Here for a Pimp."

Before moving on, here's the words to this Academy winner (our thanks to the Academy):
You know it's hard out here for a pimp (you ain't knowin)
When he tryin to get this money for the rent (you ain't knowin)
For the Cadillacs and gas money spent (you ain't knowin)
Because a whole lot of bitches talkin sh** (you ain't knowin)
Will have a whole lot of bitches talkin sh** (you ain't knowin)

In my eyes I done seen some crazy thangs in the streets
Gotta couple hoes workin on the changes for me
But I gotta keep my game tight like Kobe on game night
Like takin from a ho don't know no better, I know that ain't right
Done seen people killed, done seen people deal
Done seen people live in poverty with no meals
It's f***** up where I live, but that's just how it is
It might be new to you, but it's been like this for years
It's blood sweat and tears when it come down to this sh**
I'm tryin to get rich 'fore I leave up out this bitch
I'm tryin to have thangs but it's hard fo' a pimp
But I'm prayin and I'm hopin to God I don't slip, yeah

Man it seems like I'm duckin dodgin bullets everyday
Niggaz hatin on me cause I got, hoes on the tray
But I gotta stay paid, gotta stay above water
Couldn't keep up with my hoes, that's when sh** got harder
North Memphis where I'm from, I'm 7th Street bound
Where niggaz all the time end up lost and never found
Man these girls think we prove thangs, leave a big head
They come hopin every night, they don't end up bein dead
Wait I got a snow bunny, and a black girl too
You pay the right price and they'll both do you
That's the way the game goes, gotta keep it strictly pimpin
Gotta have my hustle tight, makin change off these women, yeah
Sharpton doesn't like this music. He has made that very clear...but he hasn't gotten anywhere with his objections. No one can make a louder noise than Sharpton...yet the rappers aren't hearing him. He can get Imus suspended for two weeks, but he fails to even call out the names of the very rappers spewing the vilest music - music that is polluting not only the Black community, but the White as well. Sharpton is better than this - when he chooses to be. He passed on calling out specific billionaire rappers and moved on to a White Don Imus.

2) Halle Berry is appearing in a movie now in production "Nappily Ever After." Berry's character shaves her head after a relationship break-up. The movie, based on the novel of the same name, evidently portrays the protaganist as insecure about her nappy mane. The story belies the title: Nappily Ever After, evidently,"not" so nappily happy.

Sharpton told Imus that the word "nappy" is racial. Our hair is what it is. It's either straight, straight as a stick, curly, corkscrewy curley, nappy or whatever. It is what it is. I recently heard that having red hair is a sign having a defective gene. Redheads are often called carrot tops. Blondes are considered dim. Imus wears a hat most days. It's easier. Get out of bed, skip the brush, grab the hat and be a big star. It's just hair.

I think Don Imus' words were rude and disgusting. I think Rosie O'Donnell is rude and disgusting...so many in the public eye are rude and disgusting. The song above is rude and disgusting (I wonder if "snow bunny" refers to a White woman? - and if so, just what does snow bunny mean?). We accept rude and unacceptable behavior from our children. We allow youth gangs. We don't have to, but we do. We accept fifth graders having sex in school when the teacher leaves the room, and other students watch. My gosh! We allow the ACLU to defend NAMBLA. The Black community allows the use of "hos." The list is endless.

I do not think the Don Imus Show should be suspended, if for no other reason than Sharpton called for it. I really wish that Imus had been "Imus" and issued his apology from his own show. Forget Sharpton. He's a power monger - much of his career made on the backs of his followers who misdeeds conveniently get Al in front of a camera.

If CBS and MSNBC want Imus gone, that's fine. We all have a boss at sometime in our life. Rosie should be gone, in my opinion, but I respect her right to be there, her boss' right to keep her there, and my right to tune out. We need to tune out. We don't need Al Sharpton scolding our morals.

Permalink for this entry: http://maggiesnotebook.blogspot.com/2007/04/don-imus-not-nappily-ever-after.html

Trackback URL for this entry:
http://haloscan.com/tb/maggiesnotebook/6250665694636934232

Linked by others talking about Halle Berry:
Halle Berry April 10, 2007 Excerpt:
The nights we spend apart alone
I need to get back home to cool cool rain
I can’t sleep and I lay and I think
The night is hot and black as ink
Oh God, I need a drink of cool cool rain

Others talking about Imus and his self-inflicted wounds:
And Now a Word from the The Radio Patriot. Excerpt:IMUS IS DONE. His career is dead. MSNBC says it will no longer carry the Imus in the Morning radio show for calling the Rutgers women's basketball players "nappy-headed hos."

Who am I offending? from Planck's Constant Excerpt: Mick didn't like spades but was happy to play with his brand new hoe in the garden and was soon tired after building a dyke of earth and rocks. "How Rosie my dyke looks," he remarked to himself,



Others talking about really important issues:
Families United for Our Troops and Their Mission #2 from Wake up America

Trackposted to Outside the Beltway, , Perri Nelson's Website, Adam's Blog, basil's blog, The Amboy Times, Hollywood Gossip, Conservative Cat, , stikNstein... has no mercy, The World According to Carl, Pirate's Cove, Blue Star Chronicles, The Pink Flamingo, Dumb Ox Daily News, Right Voices, Wake Up America, and Gone Hollywood, thanks to Linkfest Haven Deluxe.

Technorati Tags:

©2007-2012copyrightMaggie M. Thornton